Debit Card Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a debit card?
- How can I activate my debit card?
- What should I do if my credit card is lost or stolen or if I notice fraudulent debit card transactions?
- Are there transaction fees for using my debit card?
- Are there fees for requesting a replacement debit card?
- How can I overdraw my account if my credit union network must approve a debit card transaction?
- What is an authorization?
- What could cause a pending transaction or authorization amount to be different from my final or actual purchase amount?
- When will the final purchase amount replace the pending amount and be posted to my checking account?
- What if I see an error on my pending transaction history?
- How do I dispute a transaction on my ATM or debit card?
- How can I request a debit card?
- How do I request a PIN (Personal Identification Number)?
- What should I do if my PIN (Personal Identification Number) isn’t working?
- How can I avoid problems if I plan to use my debit card while traveling domestically or internationally?
- Is there a difference between signing a receipt and using my PIN (Personal Identification Number) to authorize a debit card purchase?
- How is a debit card different from a credit card?
- What do I need to know about overdrafts and overdraft fees?
- What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
- What fees will I be charged if Soo Co-op Credit Union pays my overdraft?
- What if I want Soo Co-op Credit Union to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
- At a restaurant, an authorization is requested prior to a tip being added. The final purchase amount will include a tip you add. Some restaurants may add an estimated tip to the transaction total when requesting authorization. Because of this practice, your final purchase may vary from the authorized amount.
- At the gas pump, the station requests an initial authorization prior to dispensing fuel and determining the final amount of the purchase. Many pay-at-the-pump gas purchases are initially authorized for $1 no matter what the final purchase amount is.
- At a hotel, they are allowed to request authorization for an amount based on the length of your stay and applicable taxes. An estimated amount for incidentals may also be made. Cruise lines and car rental companies may also follow this practice.
When will the final purchase amount replace the pending amount and be posted to my checking account?
It may take several business days for the final purchase amount to replace the pending transaction amount on your account. The pending transaction reduces your available balance. When the transaction is presented to the credit union, the final or actual amount is deducted from your account, usually within 2 to 3 business days. If the authorization is not matched to an actual purchase amount within 3 business days, the transaction will no longer be displayed. This sometimes occurs when the merchant sends an authorization only to verify that the card is open.
What if I see an error on my pending transaction history?
If you see that there appears to be an error on your pending transaction history, please call us at 906.632.5300 from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm eastern standard time Monday through Friday.
You may also call 1.888.241.2510 (calling from within the U.S.), or 1.909.941.1398 (calling from outside the U.S.) to immediately block your debit card.
How do I dispute a transaction on my ATM or debit card?
If your dispute is concerning the merchandise or services from the merchant, you will need to contact the merchant to dispute.
For fraudulent activity please contact us immediately at 906.632.5300 or toll-free at 1.866.632.6819.
To immediately block your debit card please call 1.888.241.2510 (calling from within the U.S.), 1.909.941.1398 (calling from outside the U.S.).
How can I request a debit card?
Once you open a Soo Co-op Credit Union checking account, or if you already have an existing Soo Co-op Credit Union checking account, you can request a debit card by:
- Visiting our main branch located at 4489 I-75 Business Spur, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, 49783 for an instantaneous card or
- Visiting any one of our Soo Co-op Credit Union Branches
- We have standard overdraft practices that come with your account.
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account, which may be less expensive than our standard overdraft practices. To learn more, ask us about these plans.
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
- ATM transactions
- Everyday debit card transactions
- We will charge you a fee each time we pay an overdraft. Please see the Truth in Savings and Fee Schedule found in the disclosures.
- There is no limit on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.
What if I want Soo Co-op Credit Union to authorize and pay overdrafts on my ATM and everyday debit card transactions?
If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on ATM and everyday debit card transactions, please contact us to complete the form at any one of our Soo Co-op Credit Union branches or call 906.632.5300 or 1.866.632.6819.